The Taitung Theatre, the operator of the Taitung Performing Arts Hall, was established in 1986 and was the first performing arts troupe in eastern Taiwan to be composed of art loving actors. They did in-depth field research to understand Taitung people’s culture and outlooks. Their productions Flying Flowers from Taitung, A Record of Smoke and Dust from Houshan Mountain, Steel Harvest Festival, among others, toured the country and brought Taitung’s local culture to all corners of Taiwan, making name for itself as a leading modern theater company.
Step into history and create new history - The old station is now an artistic and cultural landscape.
Taitung’s old station has been key to transportation and development along Taiwan’s east coast.
In 1922, the Taiwanese Ministry of Railways acquired the private railway between Taitung and Guanshan from Taiwan Sugar Corporation and built the wooden buildings and platforms of Taitung Railway Station, which became the gateway for the transportation to and from Taitung. The Japanese who moved from Japan to Xucun, settlers from Madou and Hengchun, and the Taitung natives were strangers to each other but rubbed shoulders on this platform and on these trains.
In 1925, the Hualien-Taitung Railway was opened to traffic. In 1932, the Taitung Railway Station was remodeled using local imagery and, for the first time, stone. Also a white train circle was added before the gate. After the Japanese occupation (1895-1945) had ended, Taitung’s economy prospered and infrastructure engineering took off. In 1964, the Taitung Old Station was once again remodeled, this time using cement; the building is still standing today. In 1982, the Shanli and Binan stations were added along the eastern railroad. When in 1991the Southlink Line was opened, Binan Station was renamed Taitung New Station.
However, increased traffic volume after the opening of the Southlink Line, the lack of a hinterland behind the Taitung Old Station, difficulties with vehicle marshalling, and changes in industrial structure led to the closure of the connection between Taitung Old Station and Taitung New Station, and the latter was renamed Taitung Station.